For the batter:
- 3 cup rice + 1 cup Urad dal (Or 1 kg readymade Idli uttapam batter can be used)
- 1½ tsp soda
For the Topping :
- 1 beetroot grated
- 1 carrot grated
- 1 large tomato finely chopped
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- 1 tsp chat masala
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- Salt to taste
- Soak the rice & urad dal over night. Next morning grind it in mixer with little water to make a soft batter. Add salt and keep it aside till evening. At the time of making uttapam add soda in it. Add the water if required for uttapam consistency.
- (OR You can also use the readymade batter of Idli & Uttapam. Even here, you will need to add salt and soda.)
- In a pan heat the oil & add cumin seeds, grated beetroot and carrot and cook it for some time.
- Now add the garam masala, green chili, chat masala and salt. Mix it properly.
- Separately, mix some salt and chat masala in the chopped tomato.
- Now in the nonstick tava take the batter & spread it a little. Put the toppings of beetroot & carrot & also put some tomato on the top. Put some oil around the Uttapam and cook it on both the sides.
- Serve hot with Sambhar, coconut chutney, garlic peanut chutney.