This dish is traditionally called Padiya. I learnt it from my Mom. It tastes great with coriander chutney or any South Indian chutney. My husband and I like it a lot.
- 2 cup rice
- 1 cup ‘math’ dal
- 4-5 green chillies
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 7-8 garlic cloves (paste to be made)
- 1 tsp soda
- 2 tsp carom seeds (ajwain)
- 2-3 tsp oil
- Salt to taste
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp curd
- Soak the rice and dal overnight.
- Wash them and grind in a mixer after adding some water, green chillies and ginger paste.
- Add curd and salt to the mixture and let it stand for 5 hours.
- Now add garlic paste, carom seeds, turmeric powder and salt (if required). Mix it properly.
- Separately, mix oil, 1tsp water and soda. Stir it properly and add it in the mixture.
- Pour the mixture in Idli-stand and prepare it like traditional Idli.
- Serve hot with chutneys.